Last Updated | November 24, 2022
Executive Summary – Excellent Customer Service in Healthcare
Excellent customer service in healthcare software saves time for hospital employees, enables patients to receive timely assistance, and lowers the number of unnecessary visits. Effective customer service is now essential for healthcare to remain competitive as the industry evolves, thus the topic is what we will explore in greater detail in this article.
Overview: Excellent Customer Service in Healthcare
Healthcare organizations are trying their best to improve patient health and are optimizing the healthcare processes to improve the services. Simultaneously, they are still working with the same old conventional systems that do nothing but limit performance and innovation. To be honest, those old techniques and systems are ineffective since patients today demand much more streamlined and seamless access to healthcare.
Even more, every patient needs a personalized treatment which isn’t possible with old systems. However, with the CRM system, the hospitals and healthcare facilities can create a system that’s personalized to meet the needs of hospitals and patients. That being said, it’s pretty obvious that healthcare organizations have recognized the importance of CRM and are adopting the software.
To illustrate, the CRM market is estimated to reach $17.4 billion by the year 2023 while it was only $8.8 billion back in 2018. So, with this article, we are sharing insights into the healthcare CRM and how it is improving the patient care services at healthcare facilities. So, are you ready to find out more details?
How Can You Provide Excellent Customer Service In Healthcare?
- Improved Communication Between Staff & Patients
The healthcare providers are able to provide a clear explanation of what happens during the appointment. They are able to answer the questions and patients can even get help with treatment or medication-related queries. That being said, when we talk about communication in healthcare facilities, it includes greeting and treating the patients with courtesy and respect.
For this reason, when you are trying to improve customer service (or patient service) in healthcare, you must provide explanations in easy-to-understand terms. In addition to doctors, the office admins and marketers should ensure the provision of quality care to the patients as well.
- Considering The Patient Concerns & Complaints
Customer service goes to waste if you are unable to listen to the complaints and concerns of the patients. It’s pretty obvious that when you run the healthcare facilities, there are hundreds of patients if not thousands and some of them also have concerns and complaints. For this purpose, it is essential to listen to the patients and use the feedback to improve the healthcare service provision.
It’s important to keep in mind that empathy is important in the healthcare industry, so the employees need to respond to the patients after they have listened to their concerns. When patients provide feedback, the healthcare service providers should provide help without compromising on professionalism and consistency.
- Tools & Systems
The majority of healthcare providers tend to utilize electronic records and customer service systems as it helps them streamline the healthcare service provision, ranging from scheduling appointments to billing the patients. In addition, these automated systems can ease the communication between healthcare service providers and patients.
However, if you want to improve the customer service in healthcare, you must recheck every time a patient visits for an appointment. In addition, the contact information of every patient must be double-checked and updated. In addition, the systems can be optimized to provide reminders to the patients regarding upcoming appointments and send these reminders to the patients twice or thrice.
Moreover, these systems can be designed to ask patients to leave behind feedback, so the healthcare service provision can be improved. However, the responsibility falls on the shoulders of healthcare providers to review the feedback and improve the services accordingly (remember, constructive feedback helps fix the weaknesses in the system.
- Choosing The Right Employees
When it comes down the healthcare employees, they are responsible for multiple tasks other than answering phone calls and greeting the patients. However, you must hire the right employees and make sure that they have the required medical assistance skills. Moreover, medical employees must be aware of HIPAA laws and regulations.
In addition to hiring the right employees, the healthcare facilities have to provide skill training to ensure they are known to the skills that improve the customer service at healthcare facilities.
- Connecting with Patients
To begin with, we are talking about connecting with the patients via follow-up calls. This is because the healthcare provider doesn’t stop when patients walk out of the hospital. That being said, when you provide follow-up care through calls and/or messages, it will enhance the patient experience. In addition, it also provides much-needed feedback.
Why Does Customer Service Matter in Healthcare?
For the most part, customer services matter in the healthcare industry because it sets the benchmark of quality of healthcare. This is because even if your healthcare facility has the most experienced and skilled physicians and nurses, it won’t matter if you are unable to provide consistent yet high-end customer services for the patients.
The objective of every healthcare organization is to develop long-term relationships with the patients rather than dusting off patients after one-time treatment. In addition to this, customer service matters because it ensures that patients return to your healthcare facility if they need any healthcare services.
Moreover, when they know of a high-quality healthcare facility with an emphatic approach to patients, they are likely to recommend your facility to their colleagues, friends, and family. It wouldn’t be wrong to say that it creates a positive healthcare facility reputation and reputation is essential since it determines if the patients will come back to your healthcare facility or not.
What’s most important is that poor customer services are often the red light for large-scale problems and it can also signal the underlying issues in healthcare organizations. For instance, if the healthcare facility has high-end customer service, it simply means that the organization has implemented robust systems and processes, and vice versa.
As a healthcare facility, you must keep in mind that customers/patients would only connect to you to seek medical help, and these health and medical issues can be extremely challenging for patients to cope with. On top of it, the financial issues and health issues can frustrate the patients which strain communication and interaction.
So, when customers are talking to your customer support or doctors, they expect much more than direct treatments. In simpler words, the patients look for care and healthcare providers who pay attention to their well-being.
What Does CRM Stand for in Medical Terms?
When it comes down to CRM in medical terms, it is known as healthcare relationship management and it’s actually a broad term used for CRM in healthcare. Generally, CRM in healthcare includes service automation, sales force automation, and marketing automation. First of all, service automation helps automate the provision and delivery of healthcare services.
Service automation is actually essential in digital health and telehealth. Secondly, marketing automation is for facilitating the brand and community while targeting specific patients. As for sales force automation, it is focused on the sales of referrals, pharmaceuticals, lab services, and medical devices. All three components create a fully integrated CRM for healthcare.
Excellent Customer Relationship: Why Healthcare Industry Adopts CRM?
To begin with, it’s hard to trespass on the importance of customer service when it comes down to healthcare facilities. It is a no-brainer that the healthcare industry is implementing CRMs for improving the standards of customer experience. In addition, the customer experience at healthcare facilities has to be personalized and the communication has to be customized as well.
With the help of CRM, healthcare facilities can create personalized treatments and experiences through targeted and segmented campaigns. In addition to CRM, healthcare facilities should also utilize social media for engaging and communicating with the patients and it’s also a great way of gathering patient feedback (it also provides the data for improving the services). Learn how to acquire a healthcare app.
Custom CRM Software and Good Customer Service In Healthcare
According to Statistics Market Research Consulting, the CRM market is likely to reach $28.89 billion by the year 2026 while it was evaluated at $7.3 billion only two years ago. This market growth is the result of extensive annual growth. The patients are the central parts of every healthcare system, irrespective of the fact that the facility is owned privately or by the government.
That being said, the healthcare industry can be hectic but there is a need for special focus on the patients and the healthcare treatments that they are receiving. Consequently, all these needs can be catered to with the utilization of CRM. For the most part, CRM solutions are designed for commercial purposes but in healthcare, CRM is responsible for understanding the needs of patients.
In addition, CRM in healthcare ensures that patients are on top of the treatment at all times. CRM can be used by various companies and facilities that work in health insurance, medical supplies, and pharmaceuticals.
CRM is great for optimizing healthcare and patient services in hospitals. However, these top-notch results depend on a well-designed user interface design for healthcare applications. For this reason, Folio3 can help design an on-point user interface design.
There is an extensive range of premade healthcare CRM solutions available but it’s up to the healthcare facility to choose the right one (the one that meets their needs), such as;
- Patient Management – patient management helps create personalized treatments and journeys for every patient. With these solutions, the healthcare providers can determine how patients are connected within the healthcare community. In addition, it shows the logical manner ho every patient’s health-related timeline. However, you should always choose the patient management software with a clear interface and uninterrupted communication.
- Medication Management – the behavioral and substance abuse industry comes with specifics while medication management solution is essential for simplifying the management of medication and medicine products. You can choose the medication management software with an e-prescription technology because it streamlines the online transmission of medicinal prescriptions to the patients and pharmacies (it should also store the patients’ contact information).
- Team Management & Sales – you might not believe this but healthcare organizations should have team management and sales system because it is important to keep track of personnel and service provision. In addition, you must choose flexible and easy-to-use systems. Moreover, you can choose the software solutions like Zendesk because it allows the integration of third-party apps for improving the management and business.
The Top 5 benefits of excellent customer service in healthcare
Custom Healthcare CRM Software For Making a Customer Feel Special
In the modern healthcare industry, nearly all healthcare organizations are working with different custom medical software solutions for satisfying the patients’ demands and delivering high-end patient and healthcare services. The healthcare CRM provides high-end customer relationship which works on improving the quality and personalization of healthcare.
There are two different types of healthcare CRM software solutions available. First of all, one CRM communicates with the referring organizations while the others communicate with patients. It is important to have these two different types of CRM software solutions because healthcare providers tend to test the patients in two distinctive manners.
The healthcare CRM software solutions tend to connect several data sources, such as finances, demographics, and clinical data which delivers an in-depth view of insights. In addition, it can create a widespread view of patients by gathering information from different sources and it also communicates the post-treatment and pre-treatment needs to the patients.
With the implementation of healthcare CRM, customer services can be improved and provide special care in the following ways;
- Improved Customer Support– if the patients demand high-end personal healthcare services, the healthcare CRM will work on meeting the needs of the patients while offering other tangible benefits, hence improved customer support through the implementation of CRM
- Reduction In Wait Time– a wide population of doctors has suggested that they are unable to provide healthcare services because the patients don’t reach them at the appointment time. However, when the CRM is implemented, the patients will be notified about the appointments and can aid healthcare providers in following up on the treatment schedule
- Improved Personalized Experience– the CRM is used by patients as well as healthcare providers. So, when patients use the healthcare CRM, they can get reminders on medication time and appointments. On the other hand, it also empowers the healthcare providers to analyze the lab tests
- Centralized Patient Data Management– with the implementation of healthcare CRM, the healthcare facilities will be able to automate the healthcare processes and the patient information can be managed easily. As a result, CRM leads to centralized patient data management, hence improved provision of healthcare services and treatments
Check out the case study on our client, Ecare Vault, on Custom Healthcare Software solutions.
Best 5 Ways to Provide Exceptional Customer Service for Medical Office
- Front Desk Staff– when it comes down to ensuring exceptional customer service, the front desk staff plays an essential role as they are the first people that patients interact with when they step in. That being said, you must evaluate the front desk staff and ensure that they are treating and greeting the patients effectively
- Tolerable Waiting Time –it’s pretty obvious that patients have to wait to get access to the healthcare provider when they reach the hospital. However, if you want to improve the customer services in the healthcare facilities, you need to reduce the waiting time as much as possible. If there are chances of delay, always notify the patients because leaving them hanging isn’t good
- Say Thank You– when you’ve treated the patients and it’s their time to go home, you must show gratitude and show appreciation. You must choose a thoughtful and meaningful manner of saying thank you, such as personalized notes because they are effective (who doesn’t like a handwritten appreciation note during digital times?)
- Practice Right– the healthcare providers take an oath to help the patients, so if you want to ensure a high-end customer/patient experience, you must practice right. To illustrate, you must provide high-end medicinal treatments and provide them with the care that they deserve
- Feedback– after the end of healthcare treatment, the healthcare providers must ask patients for feedback. This might sound surprising but patients often have concerns that nobody listens to, so create an edge by asking the feedback and improving the weak points
#1 Example Of Excellent Customer Service In Healthcare
The first example or application of excellent customer service in healthcare is ensuring that the healthcare employees can make a good impression. It goes specifically for the front-of-house employees as they are responsible for greeting the patient.
#2 Example Of Excellent Customer Service In Healthcare
The second example of excellent customer service in healthcare is meeting the objectives and keeping the promises that you’ve made to the patients. For instance, if you promised patients that you would get back to them with updates on treatment, get back to them and don’t forget about it.
#3 Example of Excellent Customer Service in Healthcare
The third example of excellent customer service in healthcare is ensuring that you listen to the patient’s concerns and complaints and act on them. The majority of patients have concerns, so you must listen to them as it creates loyalty. Also, you have to check the validity and communicate with the patients that their feedback is welcomed and fixed.
How Is HL7 Used In Healthcare?
When it comes down to healthcare providers and specialist doctors, need access to different EHRs and EMRs to gain access to patients’ medical history and make better and more consistent diagnoses. However, information retrieval can be challenging for outpatient clinics if they aren’t integrated with the hospital systems. For this purpose, HL7 interoperability standards and FHIR can optimize data exchange without leading to misinterpretation or uncertainty. All in all, the data is optimized by using a common language across different structures.
What are excellent Customer Service Skills in Healthcare?
- Don’t hesitate from apologizing to the patients
- Implement active listening to the patients
- Create a positive environment
- Language skills
- Remain professional
- Be flexible
What Is CRM in Nursing?
CRM in nursing is similar to CRM in nursing. It is basically a term used for managing the nursing functions and optimizing the nursing services.
What Are CRM Medical Billing to Enhance the Patient Experience in Clinic & Hospital?
The patient experience in hospitals and clinics can be improved with the help of CRM medical billing. The CRM medical billing helps automate the creation of medical billing while keeping in account all the aspects, such as treatment, demographics, medications, pre-treatment, and post-treatment care.
How Do You Define Excellent Patient or Customer Service in Nursing?
Excellent patient service in nursing is defined by asking patients about possible concerns. In addition, you must show empathy and always address the issues. Consequently, they must be informed about the actions.
How Do You Define Excellent Patient Service?
Excellent patient service is defined as providing services that are free from harm and reduces waste and redundancy. In addition, it is about following the best medicinal practices and considering the patient’s priorities and preferences.
How Customer Relationship Management Will Reduce Cost In Healthcare?
To begin with, CRM in healthcare helps generate sales and leads which helps nurture the finances. Also, it can cut down on the costs by offering online access to basic treatments, connecting with EHRs, and incorporating digital features for self-serving features.