Last Updated | November 23, 2021
There are many telemedicine software development, healthcare application development, and medical software development services out there. The more the technology advances, the more HIPAA-compliant software for telehealth are being designed. This has filled the software vendor market with numerous software options to choose from. In response to the increasing demand for integrated EHR systems, Epic Corporation is making frequent updates to its software solutions to meet the industry demands.
Though there are several proven technologies in the market, Epic has successfully upheld its popularity over the years. This is partly because of the healthcare integration consulting capabilities that Epic offers to hospitals within in the USA and beyond.
How Many Hospitals in the US Use Epic?
Epic system is primarily used by large USA hospitals and health systems for storing, accessing, organizing, and sharing electronic medical records. According to the KLAS Research report 2020, Epic maintains 29 percent of the share for acute care US hospitals, the largest share in the EHR market.
In 2019, the company won 55 hospitals in the US market share. These hospitals that use Epic software in the United States hold 54 percent of patient medical records. Moreover, according to Epic, 83% of HIMSS Stage 7 hospitals use Epic capabilities proven to boost patient security and profitability.
Another hospital utilizing Epic is John Hopkins Hospital that uses Epic because it makes charting easy. It allows one chart to be used for patients throughout the different areas in which they obtain care. In 2015, Epic helped it exchange 747,900 patient records with other emergency departments, clinics, and hospitals across 49 states.
There are several hospitals in the US which make use of Epic, among them some of the top ones are:
- Cleveland Clinic, Ohio
- Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn
- Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
- The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles
- UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco
- Michigan Medicine, Ann Arbor
- UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
While make use of Epic, healthcare facilities do not need any help from healthcare compliance consulting firms because Epic takes all necessary measures to achieve conformance with HIPAA.
What Healthcare Systems Use Epic?
Being one of the top IT leaders and software vendors, Epic provides many software solutions to healthcare systems, including inpatient clinics, ambulatory services, and outpatient clinics. Health systems that need an EHR system to boost patient care use Epic EHR to implement and integrate enterprise-wide systems.
Furthermore, Epic has developed a suite of proprietary healthcare solutions that correspond well with one another. Healthcare systems use Epic for keeping clinical records and handling patient scheduling, billing, registration, and more.
As the provider of information technology and electronic records, Epic has implemented its systems in thousands of healthcare systems such as solo practices, middle-sized practices, hospitals, and ambulatory services worldwide.
Recently, around 190 health systems launched Epic EHR on their sites; it was Epic Systems’ most active implementation season in the history of Epic company. Listed below are some examples of healthcare systems that are currently using Epic:
- Presbyterian Healthcare Services
- CHRISTUS Trinity Mother Frances Health System
- OhioHealth Riverside Methodist Hospital
- Geisinger Health System
- St. Elizabeth Healthcare
- Princeton Baptist Medical Center
- Saint Francis Health System
- St. Elizabeth Physicians
Is Epic Used in all Hospitals?
More than 250 national health care organizations prefer the Epic electronic medical record system. Though most of the top-ranked hospitals are live on Epic, Epic is only used for 54 percent of patient’s health records in the US. In research by Reaction Data, a total of 889 physicians were asked to discuss their EHRs. Out of the total, 43 percent of respondents were from acute care facilities, and 57 percent were from ambulatory facilities.
About 33% of respondents favored Epic, whereas 18% decided to renovate their contract with Cerner, and only 7% decided to renovate their contract with Athena Health. This research shows that not all hospitals use Epic; many hospitals also opt for their closest competitors- Cerner, Athena Health and Folio3, providing software from hospital asset management software to hipaa compliant telemedicine software solutions and many more!
Here are some reasons why some hospitals choose Epic while others do not:
- Since Epic has perfected the methodology, it convinces clinicians to choose a single product with a single configuration.
- Considering Epic as a popular choice, the hospitals that adopt Epic choose to be on the safer side. That means they know they won’t lose anything if they decide Epic.
- As an integrated system, Epic provides real and noticeable advantages in terms of continuity of quality care, such as avoiding duplicate results, sharing information, and improving communication between a healthcare provider and a patient.
- The hospitals that choose the Epic solution do not need an open-source HL7 interface engine to share HL7 messages between systems since Epic also provides a communication system.
On the other hand,
- Some hospitals find Epic challenging to navigate for their users because it has so many features. They prefer to use some more accessible tools.
- Though Epic consistently updates its software to improve the user experience, few features still need a fresh design.
- Epic is quite an expensive choice for small organizations because it doesn’t fit their budget. Resultantly, those practices use a less expensive solution.
Do HCA Hospitals use Epic?
Yes, many HCA hospitals use Epic. But what does HCA mean? HCA stands for healthcare assistant(s) who have different roles depending on their area of work.
Sometimes faculty members working in HCA roles are assistants, nursing, auxiliary nurses, or nursing auxiliaries. HCA hospitals are, therefore, the hospitals that support the healthcare industry by working with young people, children, infants and assisting registered nurses in providing nursing care.
In the US, HCA healthcare comprises about 178 hospitals and 1,800 places of care in 20 states and the UK. More than 250 million patients of HCA hospitals have an electronic record in Epic. Having won various industry awards, Epic currently tops the list of EHR systems used in HCA and other hospitals. Many hospitals such as Kaiser Permanente, the Cleveland Clinic, the Mayo Clinic, Allina, and many others use the Epic system to keep electronic records of their patients.
After completing the Epic EHR system launch, Methodist Health System, based in Dallas, Texas, successfully uses Epic electronic records. Also, 46 other Methodist’s facilities exchange secure patient records across their system using Epic. Epic is also one of the best EHR solutions that HCA hospitals use because it ensures interoperability. But,
Interoperability is essential in healthcare, for it ensures accurate sharing of patient data among organizations and providers, reducing nonessential diagnostic testing, improving efficiency, and enhancing communication between specialists and doctors.
Which Hospitals use Epic in Florida?
- Cleveland Clinic Martin Health
- UF Health- Cardiovascular Centre
- Mount Sinai Medical Center FL
- Tampa General Hospital
- Lee Memorial Health System
- Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville Campus
- Leon Medical Centers
- University of Miami UHealth
Which Hospitals use Epic in New York?
- Montefiore Hospital – Moses Campus, New York
- Institute For Family Health
- NYC Health and Hospitals
- Hospital for Special Surgery
- St. Joseph’s Hospital Health Center
- The Brooklyn Hospital Center
- United Health Services
- UR Medicine
- New York-Presbyterian Hospital
- Upstate Medical University
- Weill Cornell Medicine
What Hospitals use Epic in Arizona?
- Arizona Community Physicians
- Valleys Health
- Yuma Regional Medical Center
- Tucson Medical Center
What Hospitals use Epic in Texas?
- Children’s Health System of Texas
- CommUnityCare Health Centers
- CHRISTUS Health
- Driscoll Children’s Hospital
- Cook Children’s Healthcare System
- Texas Children’s Hospital
- United Regional Health Care System
- UT Southwestern Medical Center
Hospitals that use Epic in Colorado?
- Centura Health
- Kaiser Permanente Colorado
- Boulder Community Health
- DaVita Physician Solutions
- Children’s Hospital Colorado
- Denver Health Medical Center
- SCL Health
Dallas Hospitals that use Epic?
- Parkland Health and Hospital Systems
- HCA Medical City of Dallas
- Baylor University Medical Center
Hospitals in NC that use Epic?
- Caldwell Hospital
- Chatham Hospital
- Johnston Hospital
- Pardee Hospital
- CaroMont Health
- Charlotte Eye Ear Nose and Throat
- New Hanover Regional Medical Center
- Nash Hospital
- UNC Medical Center
- UNC REX
- Wayne Hospital
- Cape Fear Valley Hospital
Hospitals in NJ that use Epic?
- Cooper University Health Care
- Englewood Hospital and Medical Center
- Virtua Health
- Hackensack Meridian Health
- Atlantic Health
- University Hospital of New Jersey
- New Jersey Urology
Which UK hospitals use Epic?
The hospitals that use Epic in the UK are Addenbrooke’s Hospital, University College London (Hospital), Cambridge University Hospitals, Great Ormond Street, The Rosie Hospital, and Royal Devon and Exeter.
What hospitals that use Epic in Canada?
Here’s the list of Canadian hospitals that use Epic Software.
- University of Ottawa Heart Institute
- The Ottawa Hospital Academic Family Health Team
- The Ottawa Hospital
- Hawkesbury and District General Hospital
- St. Francis Memorial Hospital, Barry’s Bay
- Renfrew Victoria Hospital
What hospitals use Epic charting system?
The Ottawa Hospital, Campbellford Memorial Hospital, Cleveland Clinic Martin Health, Cornell University Hospital, and Orlando Health St. Cloud Hospital utilize Epic charting systems to streamline their workflows.
What hospitals use Epic in Ontario?
The hospitals listed below use Epic in Ontario:
- Haliburton Highlands Health Services
- Campbellford Memorial Hospital
- Northumberland Hills Hospital
- Lakeridge Health
- Ross Memorial Hospital
- Peterborough Regional Health Centre
- Scarborough Health Network
What countries use Epic?
Nine countries, including Saudi Arabia, Belgium, Australia, Canada, United Kingdom, and the United States, use Epic Software Systems worldwide.